Workers compensation insurance protects you and your employees in the event of a workplace injury or illness. Workers compensation coverage includes:
- Wages while your worker recovers
- Extended healthcare benefits
- Return to work planning and assistance
- Protection from lawsuits related to workplace injuries
Most businesses in Manitoba that employ workers are required to register for workers compensation coverage. The WCB covers 76 per cent of the Manitoba workforce.
Businesses that are not required to have WCB coverage can apply for optional coverage. Optional coverage is available at competitive rates and enhances the benefit package you provide to your workers.
Business owners and self-employed people also can apply for personal coverage.
To apply for WCB coverage, complete our Online Employer Registration. Our Assessment Services Department will contact you within two business days to discuss your eligibility for mandatory, optional or personal coverage.
For more information about coverage, call us at 204-954-4505 or toll free in Canada 1-855-954-4321, extension 4505. We’re here to help.
General Coverage Information
- Workers Compensation Coverage Overview fact sheet
- Reference Guide for Newly Registered Employers
- Benefits and Services for Injured Workers Brochure
- Online Employer Registration
- Mandatory vs. Optional Coverage
- Purchasing a Business
- Seasonal Businesses
- Coverage for Contract Workers Fact Sheet
- Coverage for the Farming Industry Fact Sheet
- Production Companies Fact Sheet
- Learn how WCB premiums are set
- Fines and Penalties Fact Sheet
Coverage for the Trucking Industry
Appealing an Assessment Decision
Related Policies and Guidelines
- Policy 31.05.05, Rate Setting for the General Body of Employers (Employers in Class E)
- Policy 31.05.20, Transfer of Employer Cost Experience on Change of Ownership
- Policy 35.05,10 Reporting and Verifying Payroll
- Administrative Guidelines for Policy 35.05.10
- Administrative Guidelines for Policy 35.05.20
- Policy 35.05.20 Paying and Refunding Premiums
- Administrative Guidelines for Policy 35.10.50
- Policy 35.10.40, Compensation Coverage for Union Activities
- Policy 35.10.50, Status of Workers - Independent Contractors and Employers
- Policy 35.10.60, Coverage Under a Work Experience Program
- Policy 35.10.70, Coverage for Volunteers
- Policy 35.10.120, Terms and Conditions of Optional and Personal Coverage