You are required to provide workers compensation for farm and agricultural workers. Farm owners and their family members are not required to have WCB insurance; however, you can purchase optional coverage for yourself or family members who work on the farm.

The WCB provides coverage for many kinds of farms and agriculture businesses, including:

  • crop production
  • livestock, dairy, hog or poultry farming
  • beekeeping
  • hatcheries
  • greenhouses, nurseries and market gardening.

You are required to provide workers compensation insurance for any employees outside of your family members. Workers compensation coverage protects you from lawsuits in the case of an injury or illness to your workers. It also provides valuable benefits for your farm workers, including wage loss benefits, healthcare treatments and rehabilitation.

If you only employ family members, you are not required to purchase workers compensation insurance.  To see who is considered a family member see the section below Who Is Considered A Family Member By The WCB

Yes. As a farm owner, you can purchase Personal Coverage to provide workers compensation benefits for yourself, including income replacement benefits and healthcare benefits.

Farm owners include sole proprietors, partners and corporate directors of farm and agricultural businesses.

Yes. You can purchase Optional Coverage to provide your family members who work on the farm with the same benefits as other farm workers. Benefits include wage replacement, healthcare treatments and rehabilitation services.

For farms and agricultural businesses, family members include:

  • your spouse or common-law partner
  • your child, including a foster child or ward
  • your parent or their spouse or common-law partner, including a foster parent or guardian
  • your brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, grandchild or grandparent
  • any of the above relations of your spouse or common-law partner
  • a spouse or common-law partner of any of the above relations
  • anyone else you think of as a close relative, whether or not they are related by blood, adoption, marriage or common-law relationship.

If you decide to buy WCB coverage for your family, you must purchase coverage for all members you’ve employed.

To purchase this coverage, please contact us directly.

Coverage for your farm workers stays in effect as long as your business is operating.

Personal coverage for yourself and optional coverage for your family members remain in effect until you cancel the coverage. We may also cancel your personal or optional coverage if you do not follow the requirements for reporting payroll and paying your premium.

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding workers compensation for agricultural workers or if you’d like to apply for coverage, please call Assessment Services at (204) 954-4505 or toll free at 1-855-954-4321.

Alternatively, you may send a fax to (204) 954-4900 or toll-free 1-866-245-0796, or write to the Assessment Services Department at:

Workers Compensation Board

Assessment Services Department

333 Broadway

Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 4W3


Learn More

Coverage for Contract Workers

Related FAQs and Publications

Workers Compensation Coverage Overview

Related Policies and Guidelines

Policy 35.10.120, Terms and Conditions of Optional and Personal Coverage

Content Type