In 2018, the Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba began sponsoring the WCB Return to Work Award as part of the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce annual Manitoba Business Awards.
Presented and judged by the WCB, the award is given each fall to the Manitoba business that has developed the most outstanding Return to Work program.
All applicants are evaluated based on their ability to develop a culture of Return to Work in their organization with measurable results.
- What was the motivation for your organization to develop and implement a formal Return to Work program?
- Are your leaders trained in all facets of the Return to Work planning process?
- How did you ensure that your Return to Work program was accessible and understood by all of your employees?
- How does your organization promote Return to Work within your corporate culture?
- What outcome measures do you use to determine if your Return to Work program has met the motivators used in developing your program?
2018 Return to Work Award Winner
The 2018 winner of the first-ever WCB Return to Work Award was Federated Co-operatives (Winnipeg Distribution Centre), beating out fellow nominees Actionmargurite and Gardewine Group LP.
The Federated Co-operatives Return to Work program includes extensive group safety training and cross-training of all employees. Since it was implemented, Federated Co-operatives has reduced their rates and premiums by more than half; lost time due to injury has dropped 90 per cent since 2017, and time loss claims have been reduced by 96 per cent. The Winnipeg Distribution Centre serves 212 Co-op locations in 132 Manitoba communities.
Each year, the Manitoba Business Awards recognizes businesses from all four corners of Manitoba that have achieved a standard of excellence in the community through their abilities, efforts and initiatives.
2019 Return to Work Award Nominations Now Open
Employers interested in applying may do so during the application period by filling out and submitting the Application Form below.
The application period for 2019 has begun. The deadline for submissions is June 14, 2019.
Return to Work Award Winners and Nominees