To apply for workers compensation coverage in Manitoba, complete our Online Employer Registration application.

The Online Employer Registration tool is a secure Internet application. It takes five to 10 minutes to complete and you only need to provide the information once. You can complete the registration request at your convenience - it is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

When you complete the online process, your information is sent to the Assessment Services Department. They will review your information and follow up with you to let you know:

  • The industry classification assigned to your business
  • Your premium rate
  • How to report your payroll and pay your premium.

Start the Online Employer Registration now.

To find out more about this service, please refer to the Online Employer Registration Frequently Asked Questions.

If you prefer to register your business over the phone, please call 204-954-4505 or toll free at 1-855-954-4321 to speak to someone directly.

Looking for Clearances? Click here.

Workers compensation coverage is required for most businesses in Manitoba. If you are in a mandatory industry, everyone who works for your business is considered a worker and is entitled to WCB coverage regardless of:

  • the number of hours they work
  • the structure of their pay
  • the nature of their work in relation to your primary business operation
  • the location.

This includes:

Note: If you hire one domestic worker who works more than 24 hours per week and another domestic worker for less than 24 hours a week, you must provide coverage for all of your domestic service workers.

Mandatory industries include:

Yes. Workers compensation coverage is provided automatically to the following volunteer emergency workers:

  • volunteer firefighters and ambulance attendants
  • individuals called to duty under the Wildfires Act. These workers are provided WCB coverage for the period of time they are engaged to assist with fire protection services and are considered workers of the Government of Manitoba.

In these situations, the Province of Manitoba is considered their employer.

Yes, however in most cases workers compensation coverage is provided by the Province of Manitoba.  Students on a work experience through the following institutions have workers compensation through the Province:

  • Universities of Manitoba, Winnipeg and Brandon
  • University College of the North
  • College Universitaire de Saint-Boniface
  • Assiniboine Community College
  • Red River College
  • High school.

Other institutions may also apply for workers compensation coverage for their students in work experience programs. If the employer is in a mandatory industry, the training institute and the individual’s employer are both responsible for the coverage.

Yes. Employers who hire Green Team members through the Government of Manitoba grant program are required to provide WCB coverage for these employees. Providing workers compensation to Green Team members is a condition of receiving the grant, whether the employer is in a mandatory industry or not.

Learn More 

Online Employer Registration

Online Employer Registration FAQ

WCB Coverage FAQ

Optional Coverage

Personal Coverage for Business Owners

Buying a Business

WCB Coverage Home