The Internet has revolutionized the way we do business. It allows us to interact with you in a personal way to offer information, to add additional value, to listen to your opinions, and to provide services that you can access from the convenience of your home or office.
At the same time, the Internet also brings legitimate concerns about privacy and security. By explaining our position on privacy to you we hope you will better understand how we will keep your information private and secure while using it to serve you better. Our site is divided into two distinct areas.
Those that are publicly available and those that are reserved for registered users conducting business with The WCB over the Web. The Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba (WCB) is dedicated to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personal information. In fact, it is one of our highest priorities and remains the cornerstone of our commitment to you.
We recognize the privacy concerns of the visitors to our Internet site. We also recognize the importance of protecting the privacy of any information collected about our visitors or submitted by our visitors. In whichever way you provide information to us, we use vigorous and effective security safeguards and adhere to privacy principles to ensure your personal and confidential information is protected.
Our Privacy Statement is built upon the values set by the Province of Manitoba's Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), by the Government of Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), and by the Canadian Standards Association's (CSA) Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information.
We will treat all information received or accessed as confidential and will not disclose it in any manner except as authorized under the WCA, FIPPA, or PHIA. This policy and related procedures are consistent with the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information (herein “CSA Model Code”) and applicable privacy legislation.
1. Privacy Statement
This policy deals only with personal information handled by The WCB. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, excluding business contact information. The following explains how The WCB handles personal information. The WCB reserves the right to change this policy and it may be updated periodically. These changes may affect the use of personal information. Accordingly, please check for changes regularly.
Telephone: (204) 954-4557
Workers Compensation Board-Attention: Access and Privacy Officer, 333 Broadway Winnipeg, MB R3C 4W3
(2) Any questions about The WCB’s handling of personal information should be directed to the Privacy Officer. In cases where the question concerns an access request, individuals must follow the request process described under Accuracy of and Access to Personal Information Collected.
3. Collection of Information
In the publicly available sections of our web site we do not require any personal information and no personal information is collected. You can visit all these areas of The WCB web site without telling us who you are or revealing any information about yourself. Our web servers only collect IP addresses of visitors to our site. We use this information to produce usage statistics such as number of visits, average time spent on the site, pages that were viewed, type of browser, date/time visited, etc. These usage statistics are used for the purpose of improving the content, navigation, and usability of our web site.
In the interactive business sections of our web site visitors may be required to register in order to access these functions. The registration process may require the capture of personal information for the purpose of verifying identity. The WCB will require registration only for those business functions that may involve submission or retrieval of personal and health information and/or where the identity of the individual is required in order to complete the business transaction. In addition, The WCB may require registration in order to store information for future visits to enhance the online experience.
4. Purposes for Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
(1) The purpose for which The WCB collects personal information will be identified at or before the time the information is collected. Personal information may be collected for such purposes as:
(a) providing services; and
(b) processing and administering the above or other purposes as necessary.
(2) The WCB will not use personal information for any other purpose than identified at or before the time of collection.
(1) The WCB may collect contact information in order to:
(a) send out e-mails and other relevant information; or
(b) inform members of The WCB’s events and operations;
(2) This contact information is voluntarily provided.
(1) The WCB seeks consent for all personal information it collects, uses and discloses through information provided to individuals prior to collection, or at the time of collection.
7. Limits for Collecting, Using, Disclosing and Keeping Personal Information
(1) The WCB does not collect, use or disclose personal information of individuals except when individuals give consent and provide the information on a voluntary basis. There may be occasions where more specific personal information is necessary for The WCB to proceed with a request for information or provide a service.
In such cases, The WCB will describe the information required. In all such cases, The WCB limits the amount and type of information collected to only the personal information that is required to provide the individual with the requested information or service. The WCB collects only information that is voluntarily provided by the individual and undertakes that such information will be kept strictly confidential.
(2) The WCB may disclose personal information collected by it without the knowledge or consent of the individual, for example to its lawyers, for purposes relating to an investigation under, the enforcement of or the administration of a law or where required by law to disclose the information. The WCB will not use or disclose personal information without the knowledge or consent of the individual except as authorized by applicable law.
(3) The WCB retains personal information based on legal reporting and/or retention requirements.
(5) Any personal information that The WCB retains is kept in such a manner as to ensure its security and confidentiality at all times.
8. Safeguarding Personal Information
The WCB respects the privacy of its partners, potential Website visitors and Internet users and will protect that privacy as vigorously as possible. Personal information is stored in electronic and physical files that are secure. Security measures using industry standard techniques such as firewalls, encryption, intrusion detection and restricted access to computers.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while The WCB strives to protect personal information, it cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to it or received from it electronically. This is especially true for information transmitted via e-mail. The WCB has no way of protecting that information until it reaches it. Once a transmission is received,
The WCB makes its best efforts to ensure its security on its servers. Internally, access to personal information is restricted to employees who need access to the information in order to do their jobs. These employees are limited in number, and are knowledgeable about and committed to our privacy policies.
9. Accuracy of and Access to Personal Information Collected
(1) The WCB makes every effort to keep personal information as accurate, complete, current and relevant as necessary for the identified purposes.
(3) Workers are entitled to receive copies of their claim file at any time by requesting a copy from their adjudicator or case manager or contacting the WCB File Access Department. For more information regarding disclosure of file information, please see policies 21.50.10 and 21.50.40 of the WCB's Policy Manual.
Any questions or comments about The WCB’s handling of personal information should be directed to the Privacy Officer.
11. Use of The WCB Website
(2) This Privacy Statement may be updated periodically to reflect enhancements to The WCB Website that may affect the use of personal information. Accordingly, please check back periodically.
12. Information on this Website
(1) Information which includes all facts, data and other information, collectively the “Information” in the pages of this Website is of a general nature, is intended only for informational purposes, is subject to change without notice, and is not intended to be relied on by visitors as binding legal advice on any particular matter.
(2) Individual information provided to The WCB to gain access to any feature of this Website will not be sold or made available to any third party, except where information processing is outsourced by The WCB in the course of its regular administrative procedures.
(3) The WCB reserves the right to perform statistical analyses of aggregated user behaviour and characteristics, in order to measure interest in and use of the various sections of its site so as to improve design and navigation and to gather information for marketing purposes. Only aggregated data from these analyses, not individual data, will be used for this purpose.
(4) A cookie is a piece of information that a web site transfers to an individual's computer. There are two types of cookies: persistent cookies and non-persistent or session cookies. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer's hard drive where they remain resident until they are either deleted or they reach a predetermined expiry date.
Persistent cookies are most commonly used to provide visitors with a customized experience by recording preferences. Session cookies do not permanently record data and they are not stored on your computer's hard drive. Rather, session cookies are stored in memory and are only available during an active session. Once the session ends the cookie disappears. Session cookies are used primarily for technical reasons to provide for seamless navigation.
The WCB does not use persistent cookies but session cookies are required to use the interactive business sections of our web site. If you would like to browse the public areas of The WCB web site you can do so without accepting cookies. If you prefer to know when cookies are being used when using The WCB web site you may be able to adjust your browser settings to alert you when a cookie is about to be sent. If you would like to learn more about how to set your cookie options, please refer to your browser's documentation or online help for instructions.
13. Accuracy of the Information on this Website
(1) The information is believed to be accurate, complete and current when posted, but The WCB cannot guarantee that it will remain accurate or complete or that it will be current at all times.
(2) The WCB is not responsible for direct, indirect, special or consequential damages, regardless of the cause, arising out the use of this Website.
14. Accuracy of Information on Linked Websites
Through the links to other sites found on The WCB’s Website, the user may enter domains that are beyond the boundaries of The WCB and, once there, The WCB is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these Websites. The WCB has no control over the accuracy, completeness or relevance of the information on these sites and provides links to these sites solely for the information and convenience of visitors to our Website.
15. Copying Information from this Website
The information on The WCB Website may be used or copied provided that it is used or copied accurately, or is used in its entirety and/or that the source of the information is clearly identified. Only a member of The WCB may use the information for commercial purposes. The WCB is not responsible for the way in which the information may be used or copied. The WCB reserves the right to change, delete or add information at any time.
16. Privacy Statement Changes
The WCB reviews its privacy statement periodically and it may be subject to change.