Farming activities are mandatory under The Workers Compensation Act. As such, farm owners are required to report their payroll each year to the WCB.

Coverage for sole proprietors, partners and corporate directors of the farm business and their family members is excluded unless coverage is specifically requested for either, or both, types of coverage.

The following farming industries provide for optional coverage for family members who work in the business:

  • Farm Crop Production
  • Stock and Dairy Farming
  • Hog and Poultry Farming
  • Beekeeping and Hatcheries
  • Greenhouses, Nurseries and Market Gardening.

If coverage is desired for family members, you must apply specifically for coverage for all family members who work for the farm business.


Who is considered a family member in the specified farming industries according to the WCB?

A family member, in relation to a farmer, is defined by the WCB as:

 (a) a spouse or common-law partner of the farmer

 (b) a child of the farmer or a child of the farmer's spouse or common-law partner

 (c) a parent of the farmer or a spouse or common-law partner of the parent

(d) a brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, grandchild or grandparent of the farmer or of the farmer's spouse or common-law partner

(e) a parent of the farmer's spouse or common-law partner

(f)  a current or former foster parent of the farmer or of the farmer's spouse or common-law partner

(g) a current or former foster child, ward or guardian of the farmer or of the farmer's spouse or common-law partner

(h)   the spouse or common-law partner of a person mentioned in any of items (d) to (g)

(i)  any other person whom the farmer considers to be like a close relative, whether or not they are related by blood, adoption, marriage or common-law relationship.


How do I obtain optional coverage for my family members?

You may apply for Optional Farm Family Coverage for those family members who work for, and are paid by, the farm business. The same rate you pay for your other workers applies and the amount of coverage is based on the total actual annual payroll of the family members. If you wish to cover family members, you must cover all family members who are employed by the farm business. 

To purchase this coverage, please contact the WCB directly.


How do I obtain coverage for myself?

As the owner, director or partner in the farm business, you can purchase Personal Coverage to protect yourself against income loss and be eligible for medical and rehabilitation services in the event of a workplace injury or illness.

You can purchase any amount of wage loss coverage between the annual minimum earnings level and the maximum annual earnings level at the same rate you pay for your workers.

We recommend that you refer to the Personal Coverage fact sheet to help you choose the coverage level that is appropriate for your circumstances, as well as the benefit entitlement - including wage loss - in the event of a workplace injury.


How long does coverage stay in effect?

Because both Farm Family Coverage and Personal Coverage are optional, coverage remains in effect until you cancel coverage or until the WCB cancels coverage because you did not comply with the WCB’s reporting and payment requirements.


Who do I contact for more information?

If you have any questions regarding Optional Farm Family Coverage or Personal Coverage, or if you’d like to apply for coverage, please call Assessment Services at (204) 954-4505 or toll free in Canada and the United States at 1-855-954-4321.

Alternatively, you may send a fax to (204) 954-4900 or toll-free in Canada 1-866-245-0796, or write to the Assessment Services Department at:

Workers Compensation Board

Assessment Services Department

333 Broadway

Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 4W3